Pumpkin Hand Pies
By Molly Allen
As we all know, fall is the heart of pumpkin season! The leaves are falling, die-hard pumpkin fans are sipping Pumpkin Spice Lattes, and fall baking is always on the agenda. There’s nothing better than a warm home filled with the scents of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove, and this is the perfect recipe to get you in the fall spirit!
Make these Homemade Pumpkin Hand Pies for any occasion, whether served for breakfast, similar to a Pop Tart, or for dessert with vanilla ice cream on top. You can swap out the filling for many other flavors throughout the year – raspberry jam is my favorite!
1 ½ Cups Flour
3/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Sugar
½ C Butter
½ Can Pumpkin Puree
½ Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
½ Tsp Cinnamon
½ Tbsp Sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a bowl with a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour. Add the salt and sugar. Mix until the butter and flour mixture is crumbly. Once combined, add water slowly to form a workable ball of dough.
2. Mix together the pumpkin puree, sugar, and spices.
3. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Cut out matching rectangles for your pastries.
4. Add a scoop of the filling to one of the dough rectangles, then put the other on top. Pinch the sides of the rectangles together to close the pockets. Make small indents around all edges with a fork.
5. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 450 degrees for 6-7 minutes until edges begin to golden.
6. Top with a vanilla or almond glaze and sprinkles if desired. To make the glaze, mix powdered sugar, milk, and extract in a bowl. Whisk until thick enough to spread on cooled pies, top with sprinkles, and let dry.
*Originally published in Ellensburg Daily Record’s Hometown Holidays publication